Powered By Blogger

About Me

My photo
Celbridge, Kildare, Ireland
I am a bit mad but I can calm down if I want. I am a bit of fun and love to laugh!!! Reading is a big part of my life.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Desert Flower Review

So Ms L gave us a small pat of the book Desert Flower to read while she was out on Wednesday, and we have to do a review of it when we finished it so here it is.

The book Desert Flower was a very heartwarming tale of one girl's journey from rags to riches. In this story, Waris, is due to marry a man she does not know or love and doesnt want to narry him. She talks to her mother and tells her she wants to run away. Her mother tells her no but helps her get away in the middle of the night. The way the author portrayes Waris' amotions and how she acts is brilliant. I found the part where she describes the Female Genital Mutilation quite gruesome and made me feel a little nauseous but that makes for a better story if you can make the reader feel that way. I also love the way the book describes how Waris was lonely all her life but then she meets a man and has his child. It just shows that anyone can have a happy ending
I qould definatly reccommend this book to anyone but tell them if they are light hearted they should skip over the section in which the Female Genital Mutilation is described. I give this book 4 stars and a very high reccommendation.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Kellie. Thanks for your review of the Waris Dirie story.

    Mrs L :)

    ReplyDelete